Tourism bubble in Australia and New Zealand recovers in some states
The New Zealand government announced that the travel bubble with Australia would resume in South Australia, the Capital Territory, Tasmania, and Victoria on July 5.
Due to the increasing number of reported cases in Australia, the bubble was suspended over the weekend. New Zealand previously decided to close the New South Wales travel bubble until 7 July. New Zealand’s COVID Response Minister Chris Hipkins said that passengers from South Australia, the Capital Territory, Tasmania, or Victoria are eligible to fly and must not have been to the New South Wales or Queensland Territory. North or West since June 22. Australia as of June 26.
“The cabinet agreed that the partial lifting of the suspension is an appropriate course of action,” Shipkins told a news conference.
“The health advice is that the spread of COVID19 in these areas of Australia is now under control,” he said. Shipkins said 4,444 passengers would be required to provide a negative COVID19 test before departure, and they will not be allowed to visit blocked states and territories in recent days.
Travelers will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test pre-departure and must not have visited the blocked states and territories in recent days, Mr. Hipkins said.
The pause on those states would be reviewed on Monday, with an announcement expected next Tuesday.
Shipkins said the coronavirus restrictions in Wellington would be relaxed starting at midnight on Tuesday because no community cases have been reported in the capital in the past week.
As an Australian tourist who tested positive for COVID19 after visiting Wellington, New Zealand raised the alert level in Wellington.
The trans-Tasman travel bubble time and time again began in mid-April.