On Friday, Canadian national flag carrier Air Canada flew its first non-stop flight to Cairo, Egypt using a 255-seat Boeing 787-800 aircraft. The inaugural flight is the first year-round service that will see three flights a week between Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) and Cairo International Airport (CAI).
The flights will operate on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, returning to Canada a day later on a Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Besides giving the Star Alliance member a new gateway on the African continent, the new non-stop service will provide an essential link for the sizeable Egyptian community that settled in and around Montreal.
When speaking about the new non-stop service between Montreal and Cairo Senior Vice President, Network Planning and Revenue Management of Air Canada, Mark Galardo said the following in a company statement:
“Air Canada is pleased to offer its first scheduled flights to Egypt. We are strategically rebuilding our international network by adding new routes that support leisure and visiting friends and family travel. With few non-stop options to Egypt from North America, we see opportunities to launch new non-stop flights to Cairo from Montreal, where there is an established Egyptian community.
“We have also built convenient connections to and from our Cairo flights from across Canada and the US at our Montreal hub. This new route shows our commitment to rebuilding our international network and our Montreal hub, which have been dramatically affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.”
The Montreal to Cairo flights will operate on the following schedule:
- Flight number AC74 will depart Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) at 17:50 and arrive at Cairo International Airport (CAI) at 10:15 plus one day on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Flight number AC75 will depart Cairo International Airport (CAI) at 12:00 and arrive at Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) at 17:00 on a Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
Passengers can connect with Egyptair. The flights have been deliberately timed to optimize connectivity across Air Canada’s North American network and to allow Air Canada passengers arriving in Cairo to connect on Egyptair flights to the following airports:
- Aswan International Airport (ASW)
- Hurghada International Airport (HRG)
- Luxor International Airport (LXR)
- Sharm El Sheikh International Airport (SSH)
- Bahrain International Airport (BAH)
- Queen Alia International Airport (AMM)Interestingly the Air Canada non-stop flight to Cairo is the only one operated by a North American airline. Egyptair, however, does offer a non-stop flight between Cairo and New York.